Las Vegas Community Gives Big to Families at Ronald McDonald House Charities of Greater Las Vegas
LAS VEGAS, NV (Feb. 3, 2014) – The Las Vegas community came together in a big way on Saturday, Feb. 1 for the 13th Annual Food Drive for Ronald McDonald House Charities of Greater Las Vegas. Residents donated more than 20 tons of food and supplies at local Smith’s Food and Drug Stores. Raffle tickets for Southwest Airlines tickets were sold and the winner was William Walker. Raffle ticket sales, donations and gift cards totaled over $14,000.
250 volunteers helped with the Food Drive, from preparations to collecting donations, to sorting, organizing and putting donations on shelves and in cabinets. Highlights from the day include:
- Ronald McDonald visiting Smith’s Food at Windmill and Eastern, where he greeted children and families, sharing his own baby photo with curious children.
- Smith’s at Windmill and Eastern presented a check for $500 and continued their special raffle raising another $321
- At one store, volunteers organized by McDonald’s Owner/Operator Eva Martin and her crew, collected $1870 in donations and raffle sales.
- One of our scholarship recipients, Brycin Baptiste helped by picking up food donations at some of the Smith’s locations.
- The Nevada Farm Bureau Women’s Leadership Committee presented a check for $500. The National Farm Bureau has supported Ronald McDonald House Charities for more than a decade.
The food, supplies and cash donations through this Annual Food Drive help provide for the families who stay at Ronald McDonald House all year. The Ronald McDonald House of Greater Las Vegas provides a “home away from home” for families who must travel to Las Vegas to receive critical medical treatment for their children. These families face great hardship while their children undergo hospitalization or out-patient care for serious illness or trauma, and the Ronald McDonald House offers a place of comfort and support while they’re away from home.
Support from the food drive helps families by insuring they have food readily available without additional expense, as well as laundry detergent and other items. With their basic needs met, families are able to focus on what matters most – the health of their children.
Find event photos on Facebook at www.facebook.com/RMHCLasVegas
About RMHC® of Greater Las Vegas
Believing that every child deserves a comfortable and supportive place to grow, Ronald McDonald House Charities® (RMHC®) of Greater Las Vegas is a non-profit, 501c3 organization that creates and supports programs that directly improve the health, education and well-being of children in our community. We fulfill our mission by providing a homeaway- from-home at the Ronald McDonald House® for families who travel to Las Vegas to receive critical medical treatment for their children, and manage programs that service the immediate needs of children and families in our community. For more information, visit www.rmhlv.org.