Las Vegas Community Gives Big to Families at Ronald McDonald House Charities of Greater Las Vegas
LAS VEGAS, NV (Feb. 9, 2016) – The Las Vegas community came together in a big way on Saturday, February 9, 2016 for the 15th Annual Food Drive for Ronald McDonald House Charities of Greater Las Vegas. Residents donated more than 16,500 lbs. of food and supplies valued at over $28,000 at local Smith’s Food and Drug Stores. Raffle tickets for a 40” Samsung TV and Wall Mount were sold. Raffle ticket sales, donations and gift cards totaled over $12,000.
More than 250 volunteers helped with the Food Drive, from greeting shoppers and handing out Wish Lists to collecting donations, sorting, organizing and putting donations on shelves and in cabinets. Highlights from the day include:
- Ronald McDonald visiting Smith’s at Maryland Parkway and Silverado Ranch, where he accepted a $1000 check from Smith’s Food and Drug Stores, on behalf of the Ronald McDonald House Charities. He also lent a hand at the RMHC House sorting food and unloading trucks.
- A family from Germany who had previously stayed with us donated $500 to help with the Food Drive.
- The Las Vegas 4H Roadrunners and Tumbleweeds Club had at least 50 volunteers at RMHC House unpacking and sorting the delivered food donations.
- Our overflow food went to two wonderful organizations who volunteered all day at our event as well: Vegas Youth Ambassadors, whose teenage volunteers operate their own community food pantry and help other at-risk teens and their families throughout the year….as well as the Ninth Island Aunties, who cook dinner at the House all year round, and work at several at-risk high schools here in the valley to make sure students and their families still have food on the weekends when they cannot access the free/reduced lunch program.
- The Nevada Farm Bureau Women’s Leadership Committee presented a check for $500. The National Farm Bureau has supported Ronald McDonald House Charities for more than a decade.
The food, supplies and cash donations through this Annual Food Drive help provide for the families who stay at Ronald McDonald House all year.
The Ronald McDonald House of Greater Las Vegas provides a “home away from home” for families who must travel to Las Vegas to receive critical medical treatment for their children. These families face great hardship while their children undergo hospitalization or out-patient care for serious illness or trauma, and the
Ronald McDonald House offers a place of comfort and support while they’re away from home. Support from
the food drive helps families by insuring they have food readily available without additional expense, as well as laundry detergent and other items. With their basic needs met, families are able to focus on what matters most – the recovery of their children.
Find event photos on Facebook at www.facebook.com/RMHCLasVegas and on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/RMHCVegas